For the first time in its history, Crossroads in Cultural Studiesis coming to Mainland China. Hosted by Shanghai University, the 12th Crossroads in Cultural Studies will be held in Shanghai, from August 12th to 15th 2018 , prior to the date there will be a one day pre-conference for graduate students on August 11th. Scholars from around the world will come together in the beautiful summertime to engage with the past, present and future of cultural studies scholarship.
Keynote Speakers: Stay tuned for the announcement of more speakers!
The Crossroads in Cultural Studies Conference has played an important role in the creation of a global discussion of Cultural Studies. It has become a major international conference where scholars from all five continents gather regularly to exchange research, views, and insights. Organized by the Association for Cultural Studies (ACS), the Crossroads conference is held every other year in different parts of the world. Previous conferences have taken place in Sydney(Australia), Birmingham (United Kingdom), Urbana-Champaign (USA), Istanbul (Turkey), Kingston (Jamaica), Hong Kong (China), Paris (France), and Tampere (Finland).
A day-long postgraduate/graduate research student conference will precede the main conference on August 11th.
- Submit your proposal before 24:00, Nov. 30th, 2017(Beijing time).The call for both pre-organized panel and paper proposals (for both main conference and pre-conference) is now open.Submission guidelines and forms can be accessed here.
- Information on registration and accommodation will follow soon, along with confirmed speakers.
- Spread the news!Please share this page with your colleagues and friends – we look forward to seeing you in Shanghai in the summer of 2018!
Suggested Topics for Crossroads 2018 Shanghai:
The conference is open to all topics relevant to cultural studies. Here are some suggested topics as food for thought, drawing on the work of our invited keynote, plenary and spotlight speakers, and on more general themes in cultural studies research. However, all contemporary cultural studies research is welcome at this conference:
- Relationships between the urban and the rural
- Political/cultural unconscious of the youth
- Ideas and practices for the alternative
- Knowledge production and its transformation
- Rethinking university and the academic community
- Return to the communities
- Human/non-human relations
- Working class and the intellectual proletariat
- Green culture/economy
- Gender identity
- Creative industry and cultural economy
- Labour right and robot
- Political and technical dimensions of "post-truth"
- Practices of space
- Food sovereignty, safety and quality
- Redefinition of economy
- Cultural citizenship
- New media and new politics
- Law and everyday-life rationality
- Immaterial labour and intellectual property
- Rethinking time in the digital era
- Regional cultural traditions and global mainstream culture
- Borders and mobilities
Second Call for Papers
The 12th Association for Cultural Studies "Crossroads in Cultural Studies" conference will be held in Shanghai in August 2018. Submissions have been opened, and the submission guidelines have been listed on www.cul-studies.com.
A unique online bulletin board called "People’s Park" will soon be accessible for potential participants, especially young scholars, social activists, and independent scholars, to organize panels. Research interests or tentative topics will be listed on "People's Park" from Oct 1st 2017, and will be updated fortnightly.
If you are willing to find panel partners by being a member of "People's Park", please email the organizers (CROSSROADS2018@outlook.com) with the subject line "People's Park" before Nov 20th, 2017. A Microsoft Word attachment file (doc, docx) including the topic and introduction of the potential panel, and personal information such as an email address and research interests will be also needed. We earnestly hope for intellectual exchange, communication, and chemistry among scholars worldwide.
Note that (a) the submission for Crossroads 2018 will expire at midnight on Nov 30th, 2017 (Beijing Time) and (b) the submitted individual paper proposals can be withdrawn in the EasyChair system if a new panel proposal has been formed.